>
Advertise on Talk Webcasting .com. Packages from only $5 a month!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Profit Stations/Scraping to get buy  (Read 7570 times)
Thomas
Administrator
Webcasting Master

Rep: +28/-3

« on: February 29, 2008, 12:30:42 AM »

What kind of station are you running, are you making money of the hobby or was it always looked as a way of making a little bit of beer money (or a lot of beer money).

Is your station a hobby with a few google ads which make $100 a year...if you're lucky?  Do you want to make more money of your site?
PRI
Webcasting Guru

Rep: +2/-0

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 06:42:26 AM »

Definitely a hobby but with the donations, I at least manage to break even and have many happy djs to boot.
PRI
Webcasting Guru

Rep: +2/-0

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 08:23:22 PM »

What are the laws in the UK concerning copyright laws? We still don't have anything resolved here in the states. I could make a profit from a station but I don't want the headache IF/WHEN the RIAA has its way. There would be little profit from their pricing of license fees.
Thomas
Administrator
Webcasting Master

Rep: +28/-3

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 11:35:16 PM »

What are the laws in the UK concerning copyright laws?

There are 2 licences I believe you need, one which is easier to get than the other.  I believe to stream legally it would cost  around £2000 a year - but I've not looked that far into it...I know there are a few discussions on here from the past with all the correct details.  Embarrassed
MixStream.net
Jr. Webcaster

Rep: +0/-0

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »

The PRS-MCPS license is easy to get and covers the music copyright on behalf of music writers, composers and publishers - this is a blanket license and you pay a flat fee.

The PPL one is a bit more of a headache and covers the recording copyright, I believe you have to track how many listeners hear each track and report it all although I've never dealt with them. I know of a radio station that pays the PRS one but gets permission from labels for the recordings as they are genre specific and have good relations with labels.

It's possible for a station to break even using things like google ads, but difficult to make a profit.

cjpopp

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 11:04:04 PM »

Scraping by seems to be the word... everything that comes in goes back out.

I've pumped nearly $40k into the station since 1999, so it's far beyond "hobby" at this point.

Of course, I am optimistic Smiley

9412 - The Rock Station
www.9412.com
DaveCarter
Webcasting Lover

Rep: +7/-0

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 05:56:50 AM »

The PRS-MCPS license is easy to get and covers the music copyright on behalf of music writers, composers and publishers - this is a blanket license and you pay a flat fee.

The PPL one is a bit more of a headache and covers the recording copyright, I believe you have to track how many listeners hear each track and report it all although I've never dealt with them. I know of a radio station that pays the PRS one but gets permission from labels for the recordings as they are genre specific and have good relations with labels.

Yep! You need to report how many listeners you have, how long they've listened for, and you generally need to Geo-Lock your station to the UK only (if you're from the UK that is)

The PPL billing works like your electric company. They'll ask for your logs every few months, and the months in between, they estimate from your previous results etc. Or at least, that's how it works at the station I work for, but that's commercial FM, so im not sure if it's a bit different for Internet Radio.

Did I help you? Don't forget to + Rep me Tongue
Sign up for the Internet Radio Awards today, FREE, and you could win over £600's worth of prizes!
http://www.internetradioawards.co.uk
dirtysouthradio

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 11:02:25 AM »

well i got to say its a big hobby for me in 8 years i have spent about 85.000 to keep the station alive and man in the two years i been really skiming buy lucky it would be ok if my server host would not keep cutting out on me due to much bandwidth being used and the more listners i get the more bandwidth i need

my goggle adds make about 100 buks every 3 months lol if u call that good
dont know how much other people make
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

>
Your banner advert here for only $20/month...
1radio streaming pulse stream finder
Talk Webcasting is copyright © Thomas Etherington 2005 - 2008
Talk Webcasting is part of the Netza Internet Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines
Why not visit one of our friend's websites? Choose one of the sites below:

Premium Content: SHOUTcast hosting | Double your Website Traffic | Advertise Here - $7.50

Other Related Websites:
Shoutcast Streaming | Custom Player | Webradio Statistics | Want to DJ on a new station? Register now and be on air in the next hour. Free slots for TW users. | Vox Junction Voice Overs | Stream Finder | E-mail us to swap links!

Talk Webcasting .com is a popular webcasters forum where members can discuss all sorts of webcasting, such as Podcasting, SHOUTcast, Web Radio, Web Video, on demand and live content...Our members include DJs, Station Owners, Stream Hosts, Voice Over Artists, newbies...