>
Advertise on Talk Webcasting .com. Packages from only $5 a month!
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer online?
Live Content - 0 (0%)
On Demand - 5 (100%)
No Preference - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Demand or Live Content?  (Read 6146 times)
Thomas
Administrator
Webcasting Master

Rep: +28/-3

« on: November 18, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »

When you're on the internet what sort of content do you prefer out of on demand and live content in regard to web video.

Personally I prefer on demand content because I can watch what I want when I want.  It gives me more freedom.  I'd usually record things off the TV so on demand content just makes life easier when I can't record live internet shows easily.

I would imagine doing a live show on the internet to be a lot harder to get viewers for than an ondemand program which can be watched at many times.
mike
Jr. Webcaster

Rep: +0/-0

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:57:23 AM »

On demand defintily.  Don't like starting things half way through!  iplayer and some less legal sites are fantastic ways for me to catch up on my favorite shows.
arthurvasey
Jr. Webcaster

Rep: +7/-0

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »

It would largely depend what you want to listen to - something topical, like the news, or something like a Presidential election or the UK elections or a phone-in or if you needed to text or incorporate messages or live emails, would need to be live - whereas something like a drama or a comedy or a play or an entertainment show or a soap, you can watch almost any time.

You can often find yourself missing a good movie or the latest goings-on in your favourite soap opera or a serial you have been following, for one or more of the following reasons:

You forget it's on;

It's on when you're out and you can't work the timer on the video;

You set the timer - but it fails to record;

You set the timer - but it either misses the beginning or cuts off the end - in extreme cases, both;

'You live in a shared house - the only video in the house belongs either to one of the tenants (not you), or the landlord/landlady, if they live on site, and it's not to be used for recording telly programmes - even if you do try to set the timer, the video owner will stop it, so you still miss it;

Even if you are in to see it, and you live in a shared house, you may still not get to see it, either due to the landlord (the decision maker) not liking the programme - if s/he doesn't like it, any chance of seeing it is blocked - even on YOUR telly!  Even if choice of programme is determined by a majority vote, you will be the minority, so your programme still won't get a look-in!

Or else there's no staff - but one tenant there whose status is the same as everybody else - s/he pays identical rent and has the same privileges - but likes to behave like a playground bully and thinks s/he is above the law and can come into the TV room, having been out and thinks s/he can just change the channel to the one s/he likes without consulting the rest of the tenants first, irrespective of the fact that the TV is what Judge Judy Sheindlin would call "community property", or that it belongs to another tenant, because either there is no household telly or the household telly is bust and awaiting repair - a tenant (not the bully) has loaned theirs pro tem - anybody who challenges the playground bully's self-imposed authority could end up in the A & E department of the local hospital.

A bloke I knew tried to record the film Angela's Ashes from one of the Sky Box Office channels - he made at least two abortive attempts.

The first time, he put it on a tape - played the tape back - but it went funny after a while.  Thinking it was the tape, he recorded something else on it - that played fine.  Next time the film was on, he tried another tape anyway - that played back funny, so he recorded something else, which played fine.  After several more failed attempts, he called out a Sky repairman.  The Sky repairman asked him what he was trying to record.

"Angela's Ashes on Sky Box Office".

"No wonder", said the repairman.  "You can't record from Sky Box Office - everything has copyright protection on it - if you try to record films, football or the boxing match, the protection kicks in and corrupts the video!".

These days, you can almost never miss a favourite show - with Sky, there's Sky Plus - my Freeview box records stuff on its hard drive and I can even record full series - even repeat screenings, if it misses it.

I live on my own these days - so I have nobody dictating to me what I can and cannot watch!
arthurvasey
Jr. Webcaster

Rep: +7/-0

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:43:28 PM »

Also, with live content, the programme goes out at that time and that time only, in most cases - or the repeat, if there is one, is at some ungodly hour like two in the morning - if you were watching non-domestic TV live, the programmes you really like go out at anti-social hours in  your country, so you often have to get up in the middle of the night to view them - then you find that something else is being broadcast instead, due to some programmes being geo-locked - they have been plugging a good film or TV show and telling you when you can see it, in local time - you work out the time difference, get up to watch it, then find that you either get an alternative programme or a caption saying that the current programme is unavailable.

Internet radio are the worst offenders for geo-locking - the only place that you can listen to commentary from your favourite Premiership teams is on BBC local radio - except that you can't - when you tune in, the station acts as though it has closed down - except that, rather than go off the air and broadcast nothing at all, or just test signals, a looped announcement, generic to all stations, says that the programme is unavailable.
Thomas
Administrator
Webcasting Master

Rep: +28/-3

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:41:11 AM »

Sounds like I'll never get a choice of telly next year Sad...oh well, I think I might be supplying the TV so some how, I'll be the big bully boy Cheesy

You were saying about geo-locking...or at least, not putting everything on the on demand player.  It annoys me, I was going to watch the wire on BBC via iplayer.  It's not available online, not that it matters now I'm home and have all the series on DVD Tongue
mike
Jr. Webcaster

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 01:55:48 AM »

Repped Mr Vasey!  Some good points there.  I lodged for a year or so.  Lovely person, but got fed up of the lack of freedoms (eg, choice of what's on the radio, etc.
Uberstre-Chris

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 07:58:18 PM »

I like the on demand content because I'm free to choose what I really want as of the moment.  I don't want to stick on what is currently present, that would definitely make me bored.

Uberstreaming.com - Affordable & Reliable Shoutcast / Icecast hosting on Internet since 2001!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

>
Your banner advert here for only $20/month...
1radio streaming pulse stream finder
Talk Webcasting is copyright © Thomas Etherington 2005 - 2008
Talk Webcasting is part of the Netza Internet Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines
Why not visit one of our friend's websites? Choose one of the sites below:

Premium Content: SHOUTcast hosting | Double your Website Traffic | Advertise Here - $7.50

Other Related Websites:
Shoutcast Streaming | Custom Player | Webradio Statistics | Want to DJ on a new station? Register now and be on air in the next hour. Free slots for TW users. | Vox Junction Voice Overs | Stream Finder | E-mail us to swap links!

Talk Webcasting .com is a popular webcasters forum where members can discuss all sorts of webcasting, such as Podcasting, SHOUTcast, Web Radio, Web Video, on demand and live content...Our members include DJs, Station Owners, Stream Hosts, Voice Over Artists, newbies...