>
Advertise on Talk Webcasting .com. Packages from only $5 a month!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chatbox comments to text to speech - onto air  (Read 8644 times)
sam
Webcasting Lover

Rep: +3/-0

« on: February 23, 2009, 04:05:45 AM »

You know those text to speech programs?  Does anyone have any idea how I can read comments from my (MySQL database driven) chatbox and get them aired via text to speech on air.

I'd quite like to allow random comments to be read out....even if people have ideas how any text can be turned dynamically into speech for on air - i'm happy to try and work out a way to get the chatbox to work with it.

What's up Doc?
mike
Jr. Webcaster

Rep: +0/-0

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 05:42:05 PM »

Sounds like an interesting project.  Only thing I could think of would be to use one of those text to speech sites and just manually do it?  Are there any scripts to automate it?
m0use

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 04:46:29 PM »

I've never heard of anything like this I'm afraid.  I'm sure you could get someone to create from (hire a freelancer style sites), but I wouldn't expect it to be a cheap addition to the site.

I think it could be quite risky (rude comments, spam on air, etc).  I wouldn't want to run it myself, though with a good computerised voice (or a realistic one), you could in theory run a computerised show and make it sound like real people talking Tongue.

CHHHEEESSSSSEEEE
vakart
Webcasting Lover

Rep: +8/-0

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:27:46 PM »

There used to be a live show called the r33tcast that did this. I think it was also turned into a podcast which you can probably still find online somewhere.
Each different name in the shoutbox had a slightly different pitched computer voice to distinguish it.
It worked quite well, but synthesised speech can be difficult to understand at the best of times - particularly if people are using abbreviations, slang or txtspk etc.
My biggest concern would be having no control over whats transmitted. But definitely a nice idea.

I'm currently playing with a Flash app to let people leave voice messages thru a webpage (much the same way as you stream your webcam to stickam etc) and have the clips incorporated into the show. It still requires screening but is much simpler to implement.

Tim Longhurst aka DJ vakart ~
Want to DJ on a new, legal radio station? Visit 1Radio to find out more.
sam
Webcasting Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:58:48 AM »

There used to be a live show called the r33tcast that did this. I think it was also turned into a podcast which you can probably still find online somewhere.
Each different name in the shoutbox had a slightly different pitched computer voice to distinguish it.
It worked quite well, but synthesised speech can be difficult to understand at the best of times - particularly if people are using abbreviations, slang or txtspk etc.
My biggest concern would be having no control over whats transmitted. But definitely a nice idea.

I'm currently playing with a Flash app to let people leave voice messages thru a webpage (much the same way as you stream your webcam to stickam etc) and have the clips incorporated into the show. It still requires screening but is much simpler to implement.

Found it: http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=1803

Seems like it's part spoken with responces via text to speech.

Anyone have any idea how they set it up?

What's up Doc?
mike
Jr. Webcaster

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 02:03:39 AM »

Anyone have any idea how they set it up?

I'd imagine his IRC client has a text to speech option.  You could in theory run something like that with SHOUTcast, but not a normal chatbox.
sam
Webcasting Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 04:09:41 PM »

hmm, I've not had any luck looking for the ability to do this so it might be a pipe dream until I teach my self programming or something Tongue.

What's up Doc?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

>
Your banner advert here for only $20/month...
1radio streaming pulse stream finder
Talk Webcasting is copyright © Thomas Etherington 2005 - 2008
Talk Webcasting is part of the Netza Internet Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines
Why not visit one of our friend's websites? Choose one of the sites below:

Premium Content: SHOUTcast hosting | Double your Website Traffic | Advertise Here - $7.50

Other Related Websites:
Shoutcast Streaming | Custom Player | Webradio Statistics | Want to DJ on a new station? Register now and be on air in the next hour. Free slots for TW users. | Vox Junction Voice Overs | Stream Finder | E-mail us to swap links!

Talk Webcasting .com is a popular webcasters forum where members can discuss all sorts of webcasting, such as Podcasting, SHOUTcast, Web Radio, Web Video, on demand and live content...Our members include DJs, Station Owners, Stream Hosts, Voice Over Artists, newbies...