>
Advertise on Talk Webcasting .com. Packages from only $5 a month!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wordpress for station  (Read 10914 times)
anne

Rep: +0/-0

« on: April 05, 2009, 02:06:29 AM »

At the moment I've just got a static HTML page with some stuff about the music I play and the shoutcast link.

I'd really like to be able to add more things to the site and update it frequently, have a music blog or something like that.

I was looking into blogging software and word press seems to be a popular one.  I saw you could set up an account there, but I'd rather choose the download option.  How hard is it to set it up on my hosting package?  Do I need anything specific to run it...or will any web host be able to?

Also, I'd need to have a big "listen here" button in the header of the page.  I saw that people made themes - how hard is it to create one, or edit one to add a "listen here" button?

Anyone able to recommend anything different?
terry

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:42:13 PM »

How hard is it to set it up on my hosting package?

Not really, it comes with an installer I believe so you just upload the files, maybe have to make some directories 777 (CHMOD - you can do this in your ftp).

Do I need anything specific to run it...or will any web host be able to?

PHP & MySQL.  If you've host has cPanel & fantastico you may be able to instantly install it through that.

Also, I'd need to have a big "listen here" button in the header of the page.  I saw that people made themes - how hard is it to create one, or edit one to add a "listen here" button?

It can take a few minutes to find the right file, and if the templates have any php on  them (Not sure) you'll need to be careful.  You'll have to edit every theme, if you do change it.  I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard.

There are others, cute news used to be quite good just to embedded within a static website, word press really is a ready made site solution I suppose.  I'd use word press with a nice theme (edit it a little to make it personal) and go from there.  You can use it as a blog, or just make pages and make a static type website with it, that allows comments and is easier to do (no need to change the links on every page, and so on).

Why not install it in a sub directory and have a go?
sam
Webcasting Lover

Rep: +3/-0

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:00:43 PM »

You can use it as a blog, or just make pages and make a static type website with it, that allows comments and is easier to do (no need to change the links on every page, and so on).

If you do use it for a "normal" website via the "pages" then be aware at the moment you have to number them manually if you want them in set order.  This is okay, if you've just going to have so many or not going to keep changing the order, but could get annoying otherwise.  I think this is just a temp' measure, which they will improve with later releases.

Wordpress is probably the best downlodable blogging solution out there.

What's up Doc?
thegblog

Rep: +2/-0

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 04:24:44 AM »

Wordpress is a great tool.  You can add as much content as you want, and the plugins (they customize functions that the software can perform) and themes (skins) really help you make it your own.

Check out my radio station which plays - The Georgia Jukebox.  Its a wordpress website using a free theme that I customized (I built my first website like 2 years ago, so I'm no pro).

If you use C-Panel, most hosts provide something called Fantastico Deluxe which will actually install Wordpress for you.

Content is King, and wordpress is all about content.

sam
Webcasting Lover

Rep: +3/-0

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 01:02:11 AM »

I'm guessing you've chosen by now?  What have you picked?

What's up Doc?
suhailc

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 07:17:49 PM »

At the moment I've just got a static HTML page with some stuff about the music I play and the shoutcast link.

I'd really like to be able to add more things to the site and update it frequently, have a music blog or something like that.

I was looking into blogging software and word press seems to be a popular one.  I saw you could set up an account there, but I'd rather choose the download option.  How hard is it to set it up on my hosting package?  Do I need anything specific to run it...or will any web host be able to?

Hi,

And don't forget to start your MySpace, Facebook & Twitter sites and link them together to increase exposure.

Regards,
Suhail.
http://www.slip7.net :: Premium ShoutCast Hosting Provider!
wsimkins

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:19:57 AM »

If you are still looking and thinking and can show you a couple of templates I have been playing with and they work just fine.

1.  This one is very simple and easy to navigate, it's free and has a ton of features. I'm still experimenting with a few things though:
http://acousticalternative.com

2. This is a darker version of the one above (free is always good): http://charlestownradio.com

3. This is  a template that we actually paid $50 for. I think it is the most awesome one yet. I love WordPress as it is easy to manage and I am a Plugin Junkie. Smiley http://shoutautomation.com

Wes Simkins
DJC MEdia
Licensed & Non-Licensed Solutions ForBroadcasters.
Come to my profile and check the website.
FireBug Hosting

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 10:11:17 AM »

I've used WordPress before, an iFrame works well with displaying the player (unless it's flash of course) and I believe that there's plugins as well.

FireBug Hosting
Shoutcast Hosting & Reseller
Website Hosting & Reseller
FireBug Hosting.com
CentralHosts

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 12:36:48 AM »

WordPress is great especially if you can make your own template for it to have all of the features you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

>
Your banner advert here for only $20/month...
1radio streaming pulse stream finder
Talk Webcasting is copyright © Thomas Etherington 2005 - 2008
Talk Webcasting is part of the Netza Internet Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines
Why not visit one of our friend's websites? Choose one of the sites below:

Premium Content: SHOUTcast hosting | Double your Website Traffic | Advertise Here - $7.50

Other Related Websites:
Shoutcast Streaming | Custom Player | Webradio Statistics | Want to DJ on a new station? Register now and be on air in the next hour. Free slots for TW users. | Vox Junction Voice Overs | Stream Finder | E-mail us to swap links!

Talk Webcasting .com is a popular webcasters forum where members can discuss all sorts of webcasting, such as Podcasting, SHOUTcast, Web Radio, Web Video, on demand and live content...Our members include DJs, Station Owners, Stream Hosts, Voice Over Artists, newbies...